One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Adventures in Scotland


Picture: Me and my parents overlooking Edinburgh
For Fall Break my parents, my aunt, and I went on a tour of Scotland. It was so cold! I LOVED IT! Even in late October it's still warm in Volos. The others got three nights in London. I only got one because of my school schedule [don't I just loved being ruled by class times?]. But we made good use of the afternoon, night, and next morning. We went to the British Museum [one of my life goals] and saw all sorts of really cool things. I picked up some nice pamphlets about the sculptures from the Parthenon that the British Museum houses. My Professor looked at it the other day and gave it back to me as he laughed. That night we went to see "Chicago", which is a musical I love. Mom and Dad didn't want to go see "Spamalot". I wonder why... Oh, well. I'm going to London in about a year and a half when I graduate anyway. It will probably still be running. "Chicago" was INCREDIBLE. I've never seen the caliber of acting/singing/dancing all at the same time. Well, at least from most of the cast. Kelly Osborn brought the show down a little bit, but luckily she played Mama Morton, so she was only a supporting character. Even Dad liked the show although he said he thought it was a musical review of the band Chicago. :) The next morning Mom and I went to the Victoria and Edward museum. In the afternoon we took the train to Edinburgh. On Sunday Mom, Dad, and I attended a service at St. Giles' Cathedral [not really a Cathedral, but it's really BIG]. The organ is very impressive.
The tour itself was really fun. We saw all sorts of cool things like the ruins of St. Andrews and St. Andrews Golf Course [which golf was invented or something], castles, sheep, Highland cows, men in kilts, took a boat ride on Loch Lamond, searched Loch Ness for Nessie, helped shear a sheep, cuddled a 10-day old puppy [see picture], went to a whiskey distillery, drank some locally brewed ales, tasted really good fish and chips, had lunch on the Isle of Skye, saw a Boarders inside a Grecian temple, did some sketching inside Glasgow Cathedral [and I wasn't the only one!!], heard a Gaelic a capella group, sent some postcards, and most importantly got to spend time with my parents and my aunt. I also bought peanut butter [thank God]. It's a lot easier to spend money in a country where you can read the labels of food.

No comments: