One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Instrumental thoughts



I know my father is going to disagree with me on this. [You know it's going to be a good blog if I start off with that.]

I think the cello is one of the most spiritual instruments. Is there anything as simply beautiful as a solo cellist to find your spiritual center? Every day at PTS we have chapel. This is not required of students, but I go almost every day. Today as an introit a student who is an incredible cellist played. I feel so bad that I can't remember the name of the song, but as the cellist was playing I noticed how his entire body was engaged in the music. That doesn't happen with other instruments. I should know. I've played enough different instruments to know how engaged you are with the instrument. When I played in marching band I played the baritone, and that was definitely not part of your body especially when it was cold. I am not saying that other instruments aren't spiritual, but the cello is one of the few instruments where it is almost as big as your body. It creates a different type of interaction with the music.
I love that my ideas of music are being expanded at seminary. Music is such an incredible part of our Christian journey whether it be hymns and organs or guitars and drums or an eclectic grouping. If you haven't heard of Church of the Beloved you should go to their website and check it out! They have an INCREDIBLE album called Hope for a Tree Cut Down that is FREE!

No comments: