One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Friday, September 28, 2007

Cake

Picture: Prof's birthday presents. He shaved his beard yesterday, giving him a younger look than he normally sports.

There's been too much cake around here lately. I can't believe I'm saying this... There were two cakes yesterday for Prof's birthday, and today there's another one from a friend of his. I say "Too much!" Empty calories! Although it was a nice end to the school week to celebrate with a piece of cake. Not much going on this weekend. We're all concentrating on our homework because next week we'll be traveling again and won't have access to the materials we need for our projects. I have a bunch of reading to do and much research to continue. I have to give a thirty minute presentation on the "Great Islands" [Cyprus, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica]. I have to choose a subject to focus on. I might just choose one of the islands to talk about, but I would prefer to include all of them in some way. The last group that presented talked about the traditional foods of their topic places. So I can't do food. Maybe I'll talk about music.

I am doing my second short presentation about Casablanca on the writer Abdallah Zrika. He's really cool. He was sent to prison for two years because his poems were deemed morally dangerous by the Moroccan government.

"Give me a glass
To sip this emptiness
And an arm
To measure this separation
Prepare for me a bed
Of glass
So that my nightmares slip on" Excerpt from "Black Candles" Pub 1998

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you know, if you choose to focus on one of the isles you would have a great excuse for a weekend getaway. The Germans like to vacation on Corsica, or at least that's where my guest family goes.