One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Saturday, September 1, 2007

September One


Day 04 Sept. 1st

Today is our last day in Athens. I feel so close to this city even though I’ve never been here before. I wish I could live here. Some things are strange, but almost all the experiences that I’ve had here have been positive. Since today was the hottest day of the month, we spent the morning in the National Archeological Museum. I saw statues that I had only seen in documentaries as well as plenty I could never imagine. It was so nice to finally see a good timeline of Greek art. The Museum is arranged in chronological order. I had been confused about that because sometimes Greek statues seem to be more Egyptian [that’s when they’re very old] and more Roman [because Romans ripped off the Late Classical stuff]. One of my favorite pieces I couldn’t take a picture of because the researchers haven’t published on it. I think my favorite piece was of the goddess Aphrodite about to whack Pan with her shoe. For lunch we went to a shopping mall. I prefer the Greek cafes. Prof was worried about the heat. We then went to the new Olympic Stadium. Very big. I preferred the museum. Of everywhere I’ve gone this week, I’m not sure what my favorite place was. Filopappos Hill, I think. I could really see how [hi]story effects me and how I effect it. Tonight all the students are headed to an Athenian microbrewery for dinner. Might be interesting. Tomorrow we’re headed off at 8 am to the Peloponnese. Whoo!

1 comment:

Helen Olson said...

Hi Emi!

Love reading about your trip so far. Hope all is well with you and you are having the time of your life!

We miss you already!!

Helen