One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sometimes a Light Surprises a Christian when She Sings

I have four classes on Tuesdays, and usually they are self-contained. But today something odd happened in my first class. Then again in my second. Then again in my third. And I know it will happen in my fourth class.
Music happened.

In my first class we had a guest lecturer talk about the historical interpretation of the Psalms, and we sang "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" [#171 in the Presbyterian Hymnal].
In my second class we translated Luke 19:1-10 for yesterday, and today we were talking about the various exegetical issues in the passage. The passage is about a man named Zacchaeus who climbs into a tree to see Jesus. And, yes, we sang the song "Zacchaeus was a Wee Little Man".
Then I went to chapel where we heard a wonderful sermon about how God's grace is so abundant that we rebel against the idea of it. And we sang Amazing Grace without accompaniment with the last verse in a round. [Incredible]
My third class is a survey of early and medieval church history, and today we studied Eastern and Western mystics including Hildegard of Bingen who was a Benedictine abbess who had incredible visions and also wrote music. So we listened to a modern setting of one of her songs on the CD "Vision: The Music of Hildegard von Bingen".
My fourth class will be later today. It's choir, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to sing. We are working on music of an event called Carols of Many Nations which is next week.

Today is World AIDS Day. You can support World AIDS Day by contributing here. We stand in solidarity of those who have HIV/AIDS as we support raised awareness and a cure. Here at the Seminary we are having a worship service tonight remembering those who have died from this disease and praying in support of a cure. There are many myths still circulating about AIDS, so the first step is to educate. Here are the basics.

No comments: