One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Friday, March 19, 2010

Past, Present, and Future

Yesterday I had a weird day. Past, present, and future all converged into one in only a few short hours. Awe, shock, and hope...


Past/Awe--Yesterday I held a Bible that belonged to Dietrich Bonhoeffer (pictured, right). The Bible is a facsimile of the Luther Bible that Bonhoeffer's students gave to him as a gift. If you don't know who Bonhoeffer is, he's one of the most incredible Christians of the past century. He was a theologian and pastor who stood up to the Nazis and was executed in a concentration camp. His writings are amazing. I read The Cost of Discipleship last summer. It's thought-provoking and a great read.
The picture with the small book is me with an original edition of Calvin's Institutes. It used to be really small and in Latin. The text I'm read for my Systematic Theology class is much bigger and in English.
We saw pictures from the Martyr's Mirror showing all the different ways Anabaptists could be killed for their beliefs. 

Present/Shock--I attended a lectured last night by Peter Dale Scott, a poet and professor emeritus at Berkley. His new book The Road to Afgahanistan is coming out this fall. There is an overwhelming connection to the international drug trade and the war in Afghanistan. Today is the 7th Anniversary of the Iraq War. I will be joining the Seminarians for Peace and Justice on the steps of the state capital at noon today to ask for peace. I can't sit in silence any longer. The further I get into my New Testament class and Systematic Theology and Reformation history class, the more I cannot reconcile the idea of war with Jesus' teachings, ministry, death, and resurrection.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God" (Matt 5:6-9).
"Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, ‘Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword" (Matt 26:51-52)
 "'But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also'" (Luke 6:27-29a).
"'I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:34-35).

If we do not stop the cycle of violence, we will only be faced with more violence. Someone must have the courage to stand up and refuse to continue the cycle. We must root out the institutionalized violence and refuse to fight back with anything but Jesus' triumph over violence. Jesus shows us a different way, a way to love one another as God loves us. I want to take the Gospel seriously. The Gospel is not safe. Jesus leads away from our homes, our families, and our communities into discipleship. Perhaps no one in the past century has devoted him or herself to the idea of discipleship more than Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Future/Hope--I was offered a field education position yesterday. I do not expect to be faced with the kinds of violence Dietrich Bonhoeffer was, but I will follow Christ as well as I can where I am. I have great hope for the future today, not because of where we are but because of where we can go.

No comments: