One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Friday, November 16, 2007

Drenched cat


Picture: the Milko I bought. It's actually the GIANT sized one, a full liter. In the background you can see the watercolor I'm working on for a project. :)
Lately, ever since coming back from Barcelona, the weather has been a little... unpredictable. Yesterday we went on a day trip [post about that later], and it rained the entire time we were there. It caused a very different experience than other students who have been there before. So I've been here at the school building all day working on some important papers [the countdown to finals has begun], and it's about seven so I decide to have a little break. I went to Champions [the grocery store near us] and got a Milko [a wonderfully chocolaty milk drink] and a couple other things I needed for the weekend [cheese, bread]. As the cashier scans my first item, the sky falls down. It's a rush of wind and thunder and a torrent of rain. I'm watching it with horror knowing that I have to get back to the school building somehow. Usually it's not a very long walk, a minute or two, but in the rain that minute could stretch into hours. I hate being cold and wet. I don't mind a warm rain, and I know rain is important for our environment. I'm not anti-rain. Water is a rich symbol... but that doesn't mean I have to get drenched because I wanted a Milko. I waited outside the store underneath the overhang for a couple of minutes just to see if the rain stops. It didn't, but while I was waiting a drenched cat came skulking under the overhang from the bakery side. She sat down in the corner and just glared with her fur pasted down to her face by the rain. I didn't have my camera. I wish I did. The look on the cat's face was priceless. Then there was a break in traffic, and I figured it was as good a time as any to brave the rain and cross the street. I got back to the building, and a few minutes later some other students come in looking particularly wet. Will said that he had jumped the bushes in the median like they were hurdles, and he landed in a huge puddle. His entire front was dripping wet. That's why you don't do that.

No comments: