One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Princeton!!!


I have officially begun my seminary experience. On Sunday I moved into Brown Hall on the Princeton Seminary campus [with the help of my wonderful father and a couple of returning students]. Since then I have met too many people to count, and everyone has been warm and welcoming. I think it was a good idea to come in the summer because that meant fewer people were moving in at once. With a loaned hand cart and the elevator moving was pretty easy. My room is bigger than I thought it would be. Plus I don't have a room mate! I appreciate that everyone had their own space here. On Sunday my new friend Sara and I went to Hoagie Haven for dinner. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Then on Monday we had a light orientation with things like a library tour, an opening worship service, etc. We had an abbreviated first day of class. Today was our first real day of class. We meet in small groups first to take a quiz and go over homework, then have a break, then go into a lecture to introduce new material, then go back into small groups to clear up any questions. This class lasts all morning, and there are review sessions in the afternoon. There's a lot of work, but we don't have anything else to focus on other than the community and language.
I'm taking Biblical Greek with about twenty other people from all over the country and one gal from Korea. There are many incredible people in my class including a couple who just got back from teaching English in Hong Kong. We're using Learn to Read New Testament Greek by David Black. About everyday we learn one chapter, more or less. It's a year of Greek in two months. I'll keep you updated on how it's going.

The picture is of Stuart Hall where our classes are held.

1 comment:

C. Stirling Bartholomew said...

David Black is being used at Princeton? I wonder if he knows about this.