One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday Adventures



I have had a couple of great Saturdays, and I apologize for not putting up pictures or writing about them sooner.

Last Saturday was my first trip to New York City. I was so incredibly excited to go. You see movies and TV shows set in NYC all the time but then you never get to go. It was my mom's idea, actually. So I asked around at dinner, and several people wanted to just hang out around "The City" all day. So we hopped on a Saturday morning train and were in NYC in about an hour. Pretty awesome. We walked through Times Square. Andrew and I got to see Parsons New School of Design! [where Project Runway is filmed] We grabbed sandwiches at a tiny hole-in-the-wall deli and ate lunch on a Central Park bench. Then Noah and I went to the American Museum of Natural History. I do love that Teddy Roosevelt, and Margaret Mead is one of my heroes. Of course the contents of the museum were awesome, and we got to see this cool movie in the planetarium called "Journey into the Stars" narrated by Whoopi Goldberg. Apparently Joni Mitchell was both profound and scientifically correct when she wrote the lyrics "We are stardust". [Also, it's the 40th anniversary of Woodstock today!! YAY WOODSTOCK!]


Then we met up with Axel and his friend Chris who is a PhD student at Columbia. Christ took us to Magnolia Bakery which is apparently famous for cupcakes. We ate many cupcakes, and they were great. Very dense with frosting that was lighter than air. We caught a subway back downtown to get tickets for an improv show which was unfortunately sold out. Since we weren't going to a show, we went to a burger joint for dinner. Then since we had a while before our train, we went to a corner bar. Luckily, there was a Yankees game on [against the Red Socks]. Very quintacential NYC moment.
I also discovered that I like trains.

Today was a very relaxing day. I got to sleep in which is so nice. I treated myself to a movie, Julie and Julia. I really liked it not just because one of the main characters is writing a blog. :) Meryl Streep is an incredible actress. I went to Barnes and Noble and spent a while choosing a couple of fun books. Then I sat in a coffee shop reading. Isn't it wonderful when you have time to read a book you've been meaning to read for years. For me that book is Journey to the Center of the Earth. I'm about halfway through it.

No comments: