One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend Adventures


In my undergraduate career I learned to love Ramune and mochi. Both are wonderful things from Japan. Ramune [pictured] is a soft drink that comes in these weird glass bottles that uses both craft and sheer strength to break into. Mochi is a rice cake with sweet bean curd tucked away inside. Neither have I ever found at a 'normal' grocery store, so when a couple of new friends asked me if I wanted to go with them to an Asian market on Saturday, I jumped at the chance. We loaded into a car and took off. Forty-five minutes into a five minute drive we arrived at the Asian Market in Plainsboro which was not where we were supposed to end up. Sarang is from Korea and she spent a lot of time in Thailand, so the Asian market was a slice of home. For me the Asian market reminded me of all my wonderful friends back in Missouri who taught me to appreciate Asian food and who took me to my first Asian market back when I was a freshman. I was sad not to find any green tea ice cream, and I'm wondering if green tea ice cream is an American invention. Doesn't make it any less delicious, honestly.

Food is important in our lives, and the church I attended on Sunday reminded me of this. For the first time, I heard a PTS seminiarian preach [Lisa]; and I was recognized for the first time as a seminarian. Lisa preached on John 6:24-35 and about the importance of Christ as the bread that feeds our souls. It was a great balance of physical hunger as expressed in bread and spiritual hunger as expressed in communion. It was a beautiful and moving sermon and service in this tiny congregation.

Now I've gone and made myself hungry. Where's my mochi?

No comments: