One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Friday, September 25, 2009

First Week

Today is the end of the first week of my first fall semester at PTS. It was been hectic and fantastic and full of meeting new friends. The weekly schedule is a little strange. Instead of Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes I have Monday, Tuesday, Thursday classes and Tuesday, Thursday, Friday classes. I also started my job at the mail room on Tuesday, and that was really fun. I get to give people good news about mail. I also have a second job that is only occasional. I'm a sexton which for PTS means I arrive at special events early, help set up, make sure everything goes ok. I'm a representative of the seminary to visiting groups. Pretty cool.
The workload at this point does not seem too heavy. It's about the same from college except there's more reading. By the time I get out, I will probably not be saying anything like that; so I'll enjoy it while I can. Two of the courses I am in are heavy lecture courses, the type I am not used to. Even my biggest courses at Drury were not as big as either my Old Testament course or the history of early and medieval church, but at the same time we get to sit in precepts [small groups] once a week to digest the information and have the small discussions I'm more used to.

Today I got to meet Elaine Pagels. She's an incredibly talented scholar who has written some incredible books. Today she lectured on the book of Revelation. This event deserves it's own post, so look for that later.

1 comment:

Alyce said...

Wish I could have heard that lecture! Love you, Mom