One young seminarian on a mission of creative hope and authentic faith. "Christians live by the promise of God and thus in creative hope" (Daniel Migliore)

Friday, September 18, 2009

Orientation

After two months of living at Princeton Seminary, I am finally being oriented. Orientation is very fun and very serious at the same time. There is an awful lot of material being talked about, and everyone is trying to meet everyone else. It can be overwhelming at times. One of my favorite things has been worshiping together. The chapel services are run by Rev. Janice Ammon and Martin Tel the director of music. I had to opportunity to play guitar a couple of times during the summer worship, and I'm looking forward to being a part of the chapel choir and other opportunities as they come up. Rev. Nancy Gross is the Dean of Students, and she preached on Wednesday at the orientation worship service all about the different names we call God and how we can honor the diversity within our student body and the Body of Christ. My description does not do her justice. She said that simply loving Jesus is not a recipe for getting along and wondered what would happen if we listened more closely to God instead of each other. If you try naming God as our brothers and sisters do, you not only learn about each other but about God and God's presence manifested in the world. If we are not strangers to God, we are not strangers to each other. It was a powerful, moving service with beautiful music from around the world.
Last night I met President
Iain Torrance at the President's Reception. He is one of the few people who when I told him I had studied abroad in Volos knew where I was talking about!
We still have a lot of material to cover, and classes start on Monday!!

No comments: